DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
Lapeer Main Street DDA Website: www.downtownlapeer.com
The DDA continues to follow the National Main Street model for downtown revitalization, facilitating the transition of downtown to a specialty retail shopping and entertainment district recognizing the Lapeer County administrative complex as critical building blocks for downtown and bringing more residents downtown with new, high density residential projects.
About the DDA:
The Lapeer City Commission created the Lapeer Downtown Development Authority by Ordinance 36 which became effective on November 24th, 1982. The Downtown Development District was established in the traditional downtown of Lapeer.
Since its inception in 1982, the Lapeer DDA has completed an impressive list of projects and activities including:
- A $2.5 million streetscape and Gateway Entrance project in 2003 – 2004;
- The upgrading of over 30 facades downtown through a low interest loan program;
- Purchase and renovation of the Pix Theatre as well as establishing the Center for the Arts of Greater Lapeer;
- Construction of a Farmers Market Pavilion and several public parking lots;
- Purchase and resale of the Old Post Office which is now a premier office building, as well as the purchase and reuse of the Lapeer Abstract & Title building as Gallery 194.
- Implementation of the Hometown Heroes Banner project which recognized 70 men and women from Lapeer County who have served our country on street banners throughout the downtown.
- Successfully raised over $160,000 through partnerships, community investment, and grants to build the “Ed LaClair Lapeer Rotary Pocket Park.” (scheduled to be completed Spring 2019)
The Lapeer DDA partners successfully on projects with the Center for the Arts of Greater Lapeer, the City of Lapeer, The Lapeer Area Chamber of Commerce, the Lapeer Farmers Market and the Lapeer County Historical Society.
The District boundaries of the Lapeer DDA were expanded in 2014 to include more of the commercial areas to the east and west along Nepessing Street. See the DDA District Map.
In 2014 the DDA together with Imlay City DDA hosted 14 Detroit Institute of Arts masterpiece reproductions around both downtowns as part of the DIA Inside Out Art program for the enjoyment of the public.
In 2017 Lapeer DDA was successful in attaining Michigan Economic Development Corporation Michigan Main Street status as a Select Level community; a five year partnership with the State designed to boost small towns, focused on historic preservation and community development through grass roots, community driven programs that enhance economic vitality.
Join Lapeer Main Street to revitalize downtown Lapeer!