General Planning and Zoning Information
How to begin a development project:
- Contact the Planning and Development Department to verify that the subject parcel/lot is appropriately zoned and/or master planned for the type of project that is being proposed, and to determine if any special approvals are necessary and to answer any other questions.
- Become familiar with applicable City ordinances and standards/specifications, which may include but not be limited to:
- Zoning Ordinance
- Land Division Ordinance
- Condominium Ordinance
- Construction Specifications
The Zoning Ordinance lists the various zoning districts located within the City with allowable uses divided into two (2) categories:
- Permitted Uses
- Special Land Uses
View the Zoning Ordinance & Zoning Map.
What criteria is considered when the City reviews a submittal for a proposed development?
- Compliance with the Master Plan and Goals & Objectives
- Compliance with City Codes - zoning ordinance, condominium ordinance, etc.
- Compliance with land use requirements and design standards - site configuration
- Engineering feasibility - roads, water, sewer, drainage
- Environmental impact - preservation of natural features and open space, storm water management, compliance with flood plan and wetlands regulations, soil erosion control
- Compliance with Public Safety requirements
- Traffic Impact (in some instances, a traffic impact study will be required)
- Interior renovations of an existing building building or tenant space
- The construction of a single-family home, home addition or accessory structure on an existing legal residential lot
- The erection of a new fence or alteration to an existing fence
- The erection of any type of sign or alteration to an existing sign
- Installation of above-ground or in-ground pools