General Grant Information
The City of Lapeer partners with many entities for grant funding opportunities to assist landlords, homeowners, homebuyers, and low income renters. The following programs are supported when the City of Lapeer is involved in a grant agreement for a specified target neighborhood. Applications will be posted on this website for any program that has approved funds available.
- MSHDA Neighborhood Enhancement Program (NEP): NEP program funds are available in outlined target areas throughout the city of Lapeer. To be eligible for the program, the single-family home must be owner occupied, taxes and insurance up to date, and the household must be under the 120% Area Median Income (AMI) limit. Grant amounts under $7,499 do not require a lien and are 100% forgivable immediately. Grant amounts over $7,500 will require a 5 year, 100% forgivable mortgage, which means if the home is sold within the 5 year mortgage period, the homeowner will be required to pay the funds back to MSHDA. Grant funding can be used for the installation of a new roof or the installation of new cement driveways. Lead-based paint and asbestos testing and removal may be required.
- USDA Rural Development Housing Preservation Grant (HPG): This component enables income eligible families to address aging components of their homes. To be eligible, single-family homes must be located within the city of Lapeer and be owner occupied, with taxes and insurance up to date. The homeowner must also meet the 80% AMI income limit for the established year. Examples of eligible repairs are window replacement, electrical, foundation repair, insulation, heating replacement, plumbing repairs and ADA accessibility. Grant amounts of $7,500 are allotted for each project. Exceptions can be made in certain circumstances based on the project. Leverage requirements determined at time of application. Grant funds awarded to a project are subject to a 3 year, 100% forgiven Retention Agreement with the City of Lapeer. If during these 3 years, the home is sold, the funds must be repaid to the City. Lead-based paint and asbestos testing and removal may be required.
- Property Improvement Loans: Loans are available to income eligible homeowners within the City of Lapeer with a sliding scale interest rate based on gross household income.
- Rental Rehabilitation Program: Please contact the City of Lapeer Housing Improvement Department Grant Administrator for more information.
- Homebuyer Program (Acquisition, Development, Resale): Please contact the City of Lapeer Housing Improvement Department Grant Administrator for more information.
The City of Lapeer is an equal opportunity provider